Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Thursday, May 21st, 2015

Today's monstrous downpour of rain left the sky over Ann Arbor unnaturally clear. The earlier humidity had dissipated, meaning that our loft studio wouldn't be ludicrously hot. I pulled open the door to the very loft studio in question, and my new black stilettos popped on the staircase.

"Hey Kaitlyn!" Alex popped out from the front studio as I arrived at the top of the stairs, "I'm so excited for post dance drinks!"

"Excuse for me to break out my new heels," I smiled, exaggeratedly flipping my curls over my shoulder.

"But Kait," Alex lowered his voice, "Look ou-"

"Hey Partner!" Joey's voice boomed from the hallway lobby.

"Hi Joey!" I turned with a smile, but halfway, my smile froze on my face.

It was just the person I was hoping to see. Just the person I was wearing my favorite deep-v black leotard and my destroyed black jeans to see. Topped with my leather jacket and stiletto sandals, it was a look made to put fear into the hearts of men. More specifically, it was a look that would make CJ Anslow know his life was over.

When CJ had snap chatted me that he had a job interview in Ann Arbor the day before, I had spent all of Wednesday viciously plotting his murder, wondering if our paths would cross the next day. They hadn't, until now.

Two weeks ago, I had crossed paths with the back of Sarah's head. And now I was staring right at the front of it.

The three of us stared at each other, my smile still frozen on my face, "Well, this is unexpected," I stated dryly, taking a deep breath and turning down the hallway.

I threw my bag in the changing room with unnecessary vigor.

"Kaitlyn?" Joey popped his head through the curtain.

"I'm sorry, I tried to warn you," Alex pushed Joey out of the way and pulled back the curtain to the changing room.

"Shhhhh," I beckoned Alex and Joey into the fitting room and yanked the curtain closed behind them, "If I make it out of this practice alive, you guys both owe me a beer," I hissed, "But, if Sarah comes out with us tonight, I'm not coming. Alex, CJ will ask you if they can come because of the three of us, you'll be the easiest to break. Be prepared," I rounded on Joey, "You get your ass into the big studio and claim it as ours, this is my town, my studio, Sarah can suck it in small studio. Now go, my little minions."

I got the big studio. Just like the other week, CJ and Sarah were stuck in the small front studio. Alex gave me periodic updates if they were still actually there, and I was waiting for the relief that would come from news that they had left.

That relief still hadn't came when the studio was closing and I swapped my leotard for a hot pink peplum top. With the reappearance of my distressed black jeans and heels, my look went from badass to Badass Barbie. I hitched my bag over my shoulder and strode out of the dressing room to face my fate.

No Sarah in the hallway.

But before I reached the end, I stopped dead in my tracks.

"So, what are you guys doing tonight?" I heard CJ's voice from around the corner.

"Um," Alex paused, probably sharing a look with Joey, trying to decide what to say next.

"Dominick's," Joey blurted out the name of our bar of choice of the night, known for their oversized mason jars of sangria and outside seating.

"Can we come?" CJ asked enthusiastically.

"Well, um," Alex was most likely giving Joey another awkward glance, "You can come CJ, but, um, Kaitlyn's coming so, sorry Sarah."

That was my cue. Every face turned to me as I rounded the corner. CJ's was bright red, Alex looked abashed, Joey was smirking, and Sarah looked like she had just gotten punched.

My eyes locked with CJ's, "At least someone chose right right," the words slipped icily from my lips. I could have sworn CJ flinched under my glare, "Let's go boys," I nodded for Alex and Joey to follow me down the stairs, my heart racing, both from the conversation and from trying to make sure I didn't trip down the stairs for my grand exit. I had gotten just what I wanted: the last word.


If Thursday could be the perfect day, that's how it would go. But Thursday hasn't happened yet, I don't know if it's going to rain, and I don't know if I'll see CJ at all. The only part of that story that is true is that CJ does have a job interview in Ann Arbor tomorrow, and that over the weekend I bought strappy black heels, a hot pink peplum top, and the torn-to-shreds black jeans I'd been eyeing for months in Abercrombie. CJ did snapchat me to tell me about the interview, but he didn't try and make any plans which means 1 of 2 things: 1. Sarah's coming with him or 2. He actually took my "Sarah or Me" ultimatum to heart and is done and done with me.

By the way he's been snap chatting me all evening, I fear it's the latter. You bet I'll be wearing my new heels around town all day just in case of an accidental run-in.

No comments:

Post a Comment